Drone Image WA owner Scott Palmer is delighted to be awarded Best Cinematographer in the 2017 Blue2Blue Australian Drone Film festival with his Short film “South Coast”. The category and prize are sponsored by UAVAIR.
The 2017 Blue2Blue Screening and Awards Night was held at Avoca Beach Picture Theatre, NSW on Friday 1st of April. Scott’s short film South Coast was selected amongst almost 100 national and international drone film submissions.
“I’m humbled to be chosen from such an amazing pool of talented film-makers.” Scott said, “I’d like to thank: Blue2Blue festival organisers for doing such a great job running the event; all the other entrants for their great work and support for this event; UAVAIR for selecting my film and sponsoring this award, Mike from DroneShopPerth for parts and technical support; Interspacial Aviation for helping with the flight authorisations; Russel Collins and Shaun Proctor for getting me into film editing and cinematography many years ago; and, I’d like to thank my beautiful partner Li-Yen for putting up with my drone flying antics”.
2017 is the second year the event has run a Screening and Awards night and this year it included a sponsor exhibition allowing the viewers to get up close and personal with modern drone equipment. The night was a huge success with great attendance and a rich, diverse mix of films. Scott hopes to share more short films this year with the filming of Coastal Areas of South Western Australia, New Zealand, Rottnest Island and Iceland planned and hopes to be back at Blue2Blue in 2018.
The full list of festival winners is as follows:
- BEST CINEMATOGRAPHER: SCOTT PALMER. PERTH, AUSTRALIA
- BEST FICTION: DRIFT: FRANK DEWAELE. BELGIUM
- BEST DOCUMENTARY: WHALE DRONE: DARREN RICE.TONGA
- BEST GROMMITS: THE JOURNEY: JACK JOHNSON AND SYDNEY CARSTENSEN: CENTRAL COAST AUSTRALIA
- BEST MUSIC VIDEO: FLOW STATE: KYLE HOPPING AND CHUN LOODLE. SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- BEST SPORTS: MOONLINE: FREDERIC ROUSSEAU: FRANCE
- BEST STILL PHOTOGRAPH: CHRISTIAN LIECHTI: HONG KONG